Aug 5, 2008

How they scam you through phone

This is my very own experience. They've grown smarter. They try to con you by making story over a period of time. I'll break down in details as below:

1. They called me on 12 July and told me their company will be holding an lucky draw event on 15 July. It'll be shown as live telecast in Macau. I'm one of the lucky contestant they pick for foreigner. They talk so fast until I don even hear what channel showing live telecast, what is the event name and the company name. What I can hear loud and clear is my lucky numbers and the lucky draw date. They want me to attend the event. I'm not rich, not free and not mad enough to attend. So I rejected them. (Only the rich, the free and the mad one will attend their event in Macau) I wan't to ask them how they get my numbers but they talk so fast and so blurred via the phone and ask me to remember my lucky number, thats it.

2. After a few days, where I've forgotten about this issue, they called again on 16 July. They asked whether I watched the show? I told where the hack I have their Macau channel! They said nevermind as I've won their 3rd prize in the lucky draw! Then they start their skillful talk again which you can't really hear what the F* they said clearly. I just roughly heard I won a car. However I'm a foreigner, the car is useless to me. So the hotel is willing to convert to cash for me worth how much I can't hear. They tell me to go down and collect my own. I just tell them impossible. Then they continue to said that they need my address so that they can sent me a letter . So I told them my company address. I started to question them about their event name and Hotel names. They told me in Chinese and I insist the name in English. What I found is - "Seaview Nations in Macau spend a holiday center" An event name sounds weird right? So I tried to look up this in the Internet and I found nothing.

3. After this issue has been cooled down and I nearly forget about it, they called again on the 29 July. Asking me whether I received their cheque or not. Sincerely, I told them no. Them they said they'll cheque again as they issue the cheque via a lawyer firm. They'll find out and send the cheque to me in 3-4 days time. Then the left me a contact name - 许志豪 (which I think is fake) and a Macau contact number - +85362296401.

4. Really thought this should be over by now. Who knows, they called me on 5 August. They are very polite though. They ask me did I received any letter from them. With polite, I replied no to them. Seems shocked, they ask me to call to their "lawyer" which they entrusted the letter to by giving me another Macau phone number - +85366165384.

5. The fun begins when I called to the lawyer firm. A person answering my call said he's from a lawyer firm!!! I told them my situation and they proceed to check all the info for me. After a few minutes, a lawyer called back. He said I've won HKD 420k in total. The Macau government need a 3.5% tax on every draw prize and he calculated and converted for me into SGD. Roughly SGD2600 taxed and Prize won is SGD70k. Then he said my amount to sent over by cheque was too big, the Macau government only allow HKD120k transaction, higher then that need to go to Macau and settle it our own. Then I scold him why he din't mail or letter to me! He try to back his ass by Bullsh*tting his Macau laws again... He adviced me to arrange a meeting with him by coming down to Macau myself. Before we end the conversation, I insist him giving me his Firm's name in English and what he gave me is just www.cfunion.com and ask me to check myself cause he's very busy. (www.cfunion.com is invalid)

6. So I called back to the hotel telling him the lawyer is useless. Then, they said they can arrange the meeting for me if I come down. So, this time I answered I'm coming down myself. Please arranged for me your hotel room! They seem shock and he'll seek advice from his manager and call me back in a moment. They ask me to call the lawyer for making appointment too. Then, I called the lawyer by telling him I'm going down on this friday!

7. After a while, they called back mentioning the prize withdrawing date dues today!!! They told me the manager already give 3 weeks allowance to collect. My temper rose and scold them its thier useless lawyer and how can I go down to Macau today! There's no more flight to Macau today and how can I make it where it's already late noon. I sounds angry and frustrated as if I'm going to lose the prize! Then, they kept appologized to me and they said they'll tried their best to help me in order to get the prize money.

8. Later, they phoned me again. They told me there's another similar case where the winner can't go collect himself. Gave me a Malaysian number - +60172408773 and ask me to seek advise from him. I called, he told me he is limb so he transfer the tax money to the Macau government and then after 90 minutes, the lawyer transferred back the full amount of prize money back to his bank account. (At the begining of the conversation, I insisted to chat in Cantonese, I doubt any one who lives in KL knows Cantonese but he just laugh and continue with China accent chinese)

9. After that, I called the lawyer again. sound nervously as if I'm going to lose all my prize money if I can't settle today, telling him my awful situation and beg for his help to come out the SGD2600 for me and I'll pay back to him later. He dig out all the Macau Laws again and continue to Bullsh*t for a period of time where I really don't know what the F* is he talking as if he really scared that I can listen clearly to what he said. Until the end of the chat, he slowed down. He said: If the hotel willing to issue a letter to let him proceed with the transaction + after I bank in the money to the Macau government, only he can transfer the prize money to me.

10. After that, they called me again. They said they can issue the letter if I'm able to bank in the money to the government and they willing to give me the government account number if I have the tax money. (How come they know the government account?!?) I told them I do not have SGD2600 as I'm very poor kid just started to work. Surprisingly, they ask me how much I have and they taught me how to borrow money from friends and relatives by not telling them I won SGD70k?!?! Then, they even try to brainwash me by telling me how this SGD70k can help me! Them, they gave me 30 minutes to gather money and they'll contact me before 4pm as the lawyer firm closed at 5pm.

11. from 2-4pm, every 30 minutes, they called me. Seems very concerned on my progress of gathering the money. They even told me they really want me to get the prize money, so that they can promote their hotel! At 4pm, the grand moment, I just answered them I don't want the money, I can't get SGD2600. So, they just said sorry and hung up the phone.......

What a realistic world. Really no money no talk. My fellow friends, please becareful and try not to be conned by this "lucky draw contest" specially they knocked on your door or phone to you. I just want to play and experience that's why I've been so cooperative to them. KIDS, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the "check" u meant is "cheque" i guess...i read untill blur blur leh...hihi..

Quincy Tan said...

thanks for correcting me

Anonymous said...

Hey Quincy,
Looks like I'm not the only person who get this call. What they told you exactly same as what they told me.
They call me again today, asking me did I receive the cheque they sent? Then I told that girl I din receive it, she sounds shock and bit angry. lol.. Then she ask me to call the lawyer whose name is "JinZhengWu" Contact number is "85366165391".
I found your blog by searching their phone number "85362296401" in google..
Now then I'm sure they are scammer, I'm sure they will call back again.. I gonna waste their phone $!
F* those scammer!!!

Regards,
Jack

Anonymous said...

the lawyer website is actually http://www.cxunion.com/index.asp
. the phone number actually matches the site...

Quincy Tan said...

From the Organizer, he mentioned that the lawyer firm supposed to mail me a letter to collect. However, they never mailed when i call them. They don even contacted me regarding on the issue...

Quincy Tan said...

http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/65322127.html

Comment from other regarding on this topic. Becareful

Feed