Jan 24, 2008

How to get attention when submitting resume

There are some tips I would like to share with you all regarding on applying new jobs. It's depend on how, what you send your resume. However, "how" and "what" is very clear cut what I'm trying to stress more in "When" you should send in your resume to get more attention.

1. "How"?
- Basically through e-mail is the most convenient yet effective ways. What you need is an attachment of complete resume of yourself along with the e-mail. Letter are hardly in use anymore.
- Call in directly? Though it's make a deep impression to people. Still, don't waste your time and money. I'll still prefer you all to use e-mail.
NOTE: Many people use this way, but how am I going to attract the HR admin attentions?

2. Then we talk about "What" to include in your resume
- First and foremost, put your handsome/pretty passport size photo of yourself which you think you are in the best look on the top of the 1st page in your resume. (Colourful photo will be more attractive compare to black & white photo)
- Mind what you put in your resume. Don't submit a lengthy resume. A 10 pages full resume doesn't impress people. You only cause the reader in bewilderness which become trouble for yourself. 4 pages would be sufficient to cover all about yourself.
- Just learn how to sell yourself like selling an item to customer but make it short and brief.
NOTE: Many people practive in this way. So it's common nothing special in the eyes of HR admin!

3. The key, "When"? But before telling you, I just write a short story about myself.
When I reach the company 7 early 8 early in every morning, I feel very very fresh and energetic instead of slugish. After lunch, when I come back to my work place, I'm growing tired and sleepy. Afternoon nap is the most desired things to do in my life, but I can't because of work, Work, WORK!!! 1-2 hours before going back home, everything I read in e-mail, postpone till tomorrow morning only I'll proceed with it (Siao meh, do now. Wanna go back earlier la). My concentration already divert to home at 4pm :P. I think you all also faced the something like me from Monday till Friday. So does the HR admin people who read e-mails everyday, because all of us are just normal human being ma.
- Send your resume at 7-8 in the morning is the best!!! Your e-mail definitely shows on the top of the receiving mail list! (the latest mail will queue on top of the list, aren't yours list like that?)
You'll definitely caught the HR 1st attention and good impression, since he/she is still "SOBER".

I hope this small little tips can help you all in the future job application!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tips, sin. But may I ask you something please? What if I don't possess anything unique?... how do I sell myself a complete moron? or maybe I'm just destined to do whatever job other people don't desire...

Quincy Tan said...

every1's unique. if u dunno wat's ur strengths r, then let ur frens tell u. they sure know.
most of the people r doin the job they don desire. example myself... so if u r doin the job u don like, normal la.

Anonymous said...

nice guide i will try it hahaa

Quincy Tan said...

Hi to whoever post the comment,

How can I address you? How can I help you? What do you want to learn from the internet?

I would suggest you go to either 1 of these 3 popular sites to register an email account:
1. www.gmail.com
2. mail.yahoo.com
3. www.hotmail.com

Feed